The City Auditorium, designed by a local architect in the “Classic Revival” style, was completed in 1923. The building, costing a whopping $424,910 at the time, was primarily used for concerts, theatre performances and graduations. The plaque above the stage is inscribed, “USUI CIVIUM DECORI URBUS”, or “For the use of the people and the glory of the city.” In the 1940’s, a local promoter, Abe Marylander, brought wrestling exhibitions and boxing matches to the facility.
The original structure was designed with room for a large theatre pipe organ (popular as accompaniment for silent movies). The Mighty Wurlitzer Theatre Pipe Organ was shipped from Tonawanda, New York, to Colorado Springs, November 1927. Today, the facility is used for trade shows, meetings, concerts, auctions, and sporting and social events.
221 East Kiowa, Colorado Springs, CO 80903
ALBUQUERQUE LITTLE THEATRE
Jan 26, 2019